The Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University of Cherkasy
Over the decades the BKNUC has witnessed rapid development in terms of student enrolment and program diversification.
The University holds its main objective in providing the highest level education and research in the fields of
natural sciences, social sciences,
and the humanities.
Information for foreignersand stateless persons who plan tostudy at Cherkasy Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University
Exploring the University:
1. Motto:Cherishing the traditions, Shaping the present, Advancing into the future…
2. Status - The Classic National University
3. Age – about 100 years.Founded in 1921, BKNUC was the Land of Cherkashchina’s first state-supported institution for higher education.
4. Location: - the Bohdan Khmelnytsky University is situated in the city of Cherkasy which is one of 24 regional centers of Ukraine.
5. The University carries out its mission of -
- Meeting the educational needs of the population of the Cherkasy region and Ukraine in the widest possible range of specialties;
- Providing qualified personnel for the social and economic sectors of the region and Ukraine as a whole;
- Bringing up socially active and politically responsible citizens who are in demand for an open, self-organized and civil society to be built;
Its appointment the Bohdan Khmelnytsky University has been implementing through the introduction of advanced international experience and the integration of the Ukrainian experience into a global education system.
Today the University has established itself as a higher educational institution of the European model. This was due to persistent daily work aimed at the development of schools, improvement of scientific and educational potential, forging greater links of science with practical activities, implementation of modern educational technologies, introduction of progressive forms and methods of cooperation in education, creation of social infrastructure.
6. Structurally Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University of Cherkasy is:
- 8 Education and Research Institutes
- of Economics and Law,
- of Foreign Languages,
- of History and Philosophy,
- of Pedagogical Education, Social Work and Art,
- of the Ukrainian Philology and Social Communications,
- of Physics, Mathematics, and Computing and Information Systems,
- of Natural Sciences,
- of Physical Education, Sports, and Health,
and 2 Faculties
- of Computer Science, Intelligent and Control Systems,
- of Psychology
whichoffer programs leading to the baccalaureate, master's, and specialist degrees.
Under the University umbrella there are:
- 8 special research institutes;
- 7 research centers and research laboratories;
- 4 academic councils for the defense of PhD and Doctor of Science thesesin 8 specialties;
- 15 scientific schools, 5 of which have an international recognition:
- Solid State Physics and Nanotechnologies - led by prof. Andrii Gusak.;
- Quantum Chemistry and Molecular Electronics: head - prof. Boris Minaev;
- Onomasiology - prof. Olena Selivanova;
- Cognitive Linguistics - prof. Svetlana Zhabotynska;
- Physiology of Neurodynamic Functions of the Brain - prof. Volodymyr Lyzogub;
- Center for continuing education.
7. Training in the University is conducted in 32 directions and 49 specialties.
Postgraduate (33 specialties) and doctoral (6) courses are functioning in the University.
8. Human resources: About 450 full professors and PhDs.
Full faculty - 600.
Staff - 1100.
9. Total headcount of students: 6,000 students of full-time education and distance learning.
10. Buildings and Campus:
2 campuses featuring:
- 5 Academic buildings
- 7 Museums
- The University church.
- Research and Education Facilities “Sokyrno”
- Botanical Garden
- 5 Residence Halls housing about 2,000 students on campus
- 5 Cafes and a Dining Hall
- 11 Sports Halls and Gyms
- Stadium, 7 Sports Playgrounds
- Student Leisure Center with a network of amateur talent groups
11. Ideology and philosophy of the university is student-oriented. In other words: the students as future intellectual potential of the state are taken care of.
- The University created optimal conditions for training and research activities (modern classrooms, laboratories, museums);
- All residence halls (dormitories) have decent living conditions;
- Hot food is provided in 5 cafes and 1 dining hall;
- A wide network ofamateur talent groups and sportssections with 15 expertsinthe field of culture and 32 coaches has been established in the University to cater for cultural development, satisfaction of artistic, sporting and aesthetic needs of the students;
- To strengthen and correct students' mental health the service of psychological assistance is introduced;
- Spiritual needs are catered for by the university church.
The University in the centre of Ukraine: a profile
Education in the Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University of Cherkasy is actively integrating into the international community. The opportunities of internship for teachers, student exchange, obtaining information from foreign countries in the fields of planning, organizing and implementing the educational processes are expanded.
The foreign policy of Ukraine, some of the highest priorities of which are European integration and strategic partnership with the United States, is most actively supported by the University through the further establishing of new contacts and ties with the universities of the former Soviet Union, the European Union and the United States and giving these relations concrete meaning. International recognition of the Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University in Cherkasy as one of the leaders of the national education network is also confirmed by the fact that about 100 famous universities of the world are collaborating with the University under long-term agreements, and in general we maintain educational, scientific, cultural relations with 100 foreign universities.
Given the role and place of Ukraine in the international arena, we are effective both in western and eastern science and education policy, seeking consolidation of the positions of the University in all possible directions: the Center for European and Euro-Atlantic integration is functioning in the University in the Institute of Foreign Languages where English, German, French, Polish, Spanish and Russian are taught; Cherkasy National University joined the Eurasian Association of Universities and the Black Sea Universities Network which bring together the most powerful universities of the regions and where we are equal among equals.
The Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University in Cherkasy’s graduates are competitive. The doors of our university are open to anyone who wants to be protected and mobile in the labor market, to be capable of personal, spiritual and ideological choice, to have the necessary knowledge, skills and competences to integrate in the society at different levels.
We prepare economists who can move the economy and carry out economic reforms.
Our Law School graduates are ready to implement reforms in the legal system.
The scientists of the Research and Education Institute of Natural Sciences, the Research Institute of the Human and Animals Physiology and the Institute of Peasantry will meet the challengesfacingagriculture.
The centre for the study of Taras Shevchenko’s literaryheritage and the faculty and students of the Art Department will contribute to the development of the modern image of Ukrainian culture.
Life-long education is in the focus of attention of the Center forContinuing Education.
The University also sees its calling in bringing up an innovative personality, capable of innovative thinking, innovative perception of the world and, what is more important, of actinginnovatively, capable of making a difference in our world.
By our daily educational, scientific, organizational activities we justify the time- and experience-proven truth: education received in the Bohdan Khmelnytsky National University of Cherkasy is the guarantee of success.